I have declared Spring! Fresh flavours and cheery yellow crockery. All I'm missing is a vase full of daffodils.
A very light, fluffy sponge with lemon zest, a sneaky dollop of lemon curd in the middle and a swirl of lemon buttercream on top. Perfect for zingy lemon lovers, which I definitely am. Sometimes I wish I categorised my blog posts better and added ingredients to my labels as I'd be interested to see how many times I've baked with lemons. They're definitely one of my favourite flavours. Does anyone else have an obvious ingredient they bake with again and again?
I followed the fresh lime meringue cupcake recipe from the Primrose Bakery book, page 26, although I swapped the lime for lemon and the meringue for lemon buttercream.
For the cupcake:
110g unsalted butter, at room temperature
225g golden caster sugar
2 large eggs, free range or organic
90ml semi-skimmed milk
30ml freshly squeezed lime juice (in my case, lemon)
1 tbsp sour cream
150g self-raising flour
125g plain flour
1 tsp grated lime/lemon zest
Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Line a 12 hole muffin tray with muffin cases. (I halved the recipe and used 12 standard cupcake cases.) In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar together using an electric hand mixer, until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition. Measure the milk into a jug, add the lime/lemon juice and sour cream and combine well.
Sift the flours into a bowl and stir together. Add alternate amounts of the flour and the lime flavoured milk to the creamed butter and sugar as follows: add 1/3 of the flour and mix well; add 1/2 the milk and mix well; add another 1/3 of the flour and mix well; add the remainder of the milk and mix well; finish by adding the last 1/3 of flour and then the lime/lemon zest and beat well. If the mixture looks as though it is curdling slightly don't panic - simply add another spoonful of plain flour and beat well. Spoon the mixture evenly into the muffin/cupcake cases, filling them about 2/3 full.
Bake in the centre of the oven for 25 minutes. To test if the cupcakes are cooked insert a skewer into the centre of a cupcake - it should come out clean. They should be light golden in colour. Leave to cool in their tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Once cooled, cut a small hole in the top of each cake using a small sharp knife, insert a teaspoon full of lime/lemon curd. (I put the tops back on rather than discard them and then iced with a lemon buttercream which I just mixed to taste).
Mmmmm - this is food porn to me as I've just started the Dukan Diet. Sob!
ReplyDeleteOh no! I don't know how anybody could manage that. I would just cry all day if somebody stopped me from eating cake!
DeleteI love lemons so these look incredible to me - love the lemon curd filling. Lemons, chocolate and almonds are the three ingredients I constantly return to, although not all together ;)
ReplyDeleteNow that would be an interesting concoction! I've found that I've been baking more with almonds over the last couple of years. It's definitely a flavour which has grown on me.
DeleteThese look so good - the melty lemon centre has me drooling!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I fully recommend adding curd to cupcakes. It's a fun surprise having a gooey centre.
DeleteThese look fab. I think I will have to give them a go.
ReplyDeletexx
http://deardollyblog.blogspot.co.uk
Thanks, you really should!
DeleteOh yes, yellow is the colour of spring and lemon is always delicious. Your cupcakes look lovely and fresh. Keep meaning to try adding curd to cupcakes, but always worried I will ruin then trying to create holes!
ReplyDeleteStrangely, I seem to keep cooking with chocolate ;-)
The holes are actually ok to make. I suppose you could try an apple corer if you want a guaranteed neat hole?
DeleteI would have never guessed you loved baking with chocolate...! Haha
Lemon cupcakes are fantastic! Very refreshing.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88
Thanks! It feels good baking with fresh flavours now we've hit spring.
DeleteLemons just taste so good in bakes...and I love lemon curd in anything and everything!! For me though I always seem to end up with raspberries in my bakes. :-)
ReplyDeleteRaspberries are lovely! I always keep an eye out on their offers in Tesco as they're lovely in baking too. I'd quite like to bake something with lemons and raspberries together.
DeleteMmmm, I love lemon cake, lovely and zingy and fresh and springy... but weirdly, I don't think i've ever baked with it?! I don't think I have an ingredient I always use, but I guess that plain old vanilla sponge is my most done thing, be it cake form or cupcake form.
ReplyDeleteNever baked with lemons?! You're missing out Kim, I demand you go to your closest supermarket and buy some! hehe
DeleteUp until I developed my lemon fascination a few years ago plain old vanilla was definitely what I baked most.
I love lemons and bake with them a LOT! Love your cupcakes especially with the lemon curd filling - yum! Just having a quick look at my blog labels, I seem to bake a lot with chocolate, peanut butter, bananas and lemons :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, I don't think I can ever go back to making lemon cupcakes without using lemon curd! I am a changed baker.
DeleteAh I could have guessed bananas as one of your most used ingredients!
Oooh yummy - love the idea of lemon curd inside :) Chocolate has to be my most used thing in baking!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, I fully recommend it! Funnily enough I don't think I bake with chocolate that often. Probably because the bar of chocolate doesn't last long enough to be baked with!
Delete