Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Nutella cupcakes

I don't know why it has taken me so long to try this recipe but it was worth the wait. Words cannot describe how deliciously chocolatey and nutella-y these are. I can see myself baking these again this week because they are that good. If you love nutella, please refrain from eating it all (like I usually do) and use it in this recipe. You will love it!


I took these to work this week for my coworkers as I'm leaving my job on Thursday. They can't be too upset if I give them cake before I go. Some may say I am mad to leave even a poorly paid job in this rubbish economic climate to become a full time artist, but I feel ready for a change and it'll be exciting.


I can't decide what I like best about these cupcakes. The smooth icing, the fluffy sponge, or the thick dollop of nutella in the centre. I was so pleased that the sponge turned out so big and fluffy as the last couple of times I used Hummingbird cupcake recipes the sponges came out a bit stodgy.


If you fancy making these (which you should!) the recipe can be found in the first Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook or you can find it through Helen's blog. I can now see why this is one of her favourite recipes.

Do you like the new blog header? I fancied a change but unfortunately I am completely useless when it comes to photo editing. Does anyone know why the image is slightly blurry? I do very basic editing (colour balance/lighting/cropping) through Windows Photo Gallery and added my text this time through Picnik. I saved it at as high a quality as possible (least amount of compression) but I'm still not 100% happy. Then again I thought my last header was a bit blurry too! Any suggestions or tips will be greatly received!

32 comments:

  1. liking the new blog header very much, and your cupcakes look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo, sorry can't help with the techy bit but I think the header looks good. The cupcakes look fab though, and I'll have to give them a go as my eldest is a nuttelanut! glad the sponge turned out well, as I have had problems with Hummingbird recipes before , too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you should definitely make these for your nutella loving children. I can't recommend them enough!

      Delete
  3. Love your new header and your tea cups collection!

    Will bookmark this recipe because I think my nutella loving son will love these. Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, definitely make these!

      Delete
  4. Love all the vintage china in your header and the cupcakes look delicious.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I felt jealous of the gorgeous china in your blog header so I thought I'd try my own version!

      Delete
  5. Those cupcakes look sooo good! I am going to have to keep this one in mind..I have some nutella in my cupboard, so I'll have to try to save some of it for this recipe :)
    I really like your new header..such lovely teacups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it, resist the urge to eat it all with a spoon. Save some for this recipe! Hehe

      Delete
  6. LOVE the new header... Pretty vintage loveliness...gorgeous!!
    Those cakes look amazing too, I adore nutella...Mmmm :-)
    ...... Think I will have to stuff the diet for these!! Ha ha

    Thank you for your lovely comment, you should definitely give hexies a go.... They are very easy once you get going and are SUPER addictive!!

    Louise xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm loving all the positive comments for the header. I think it's a keeper!

      I remember seeing a hexie bedspread in an old library book years ago and being amazed by it. Think I'll have to start small with a cushion first though!

      Delete
  7. I must have one of these now! I have made these before and they were so delicious. Yours look much more professional and pretty than mine though!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that's not the case! I'm sure yours were just as lovely. Plus it's the taste that counts.

      Delete
  8. Hiya Jo,
    Loving the look and sound of those cupcakes :)
    The header is probably blury because it is in JPG format which doesn't work as well for computers. See if you can change the file to a PNG and it should work nicer on screen. If you need any help just email and I can play around for you on photoshop. Hope that helps xxx
    P.S goes without saying how lovely the china is, and yes I totally agree - I have planned my kitchen but no idea about the living room or even how i'd want my bedroom to look - its all about the kitchen!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gem, I changed the file to a PNG but it still comes out blurry as a header, despite the actual file/photo looking very clear before uploading. I might have to take you up on your offer!

      Delete
    2. hi Jo,
      The only other thing I can think of is that it is a small file and is being stretched to fit the header space?
      If so try making the original photo the right size before adding your text.
      Hope that helps xxx

      Delete
    3. Finally got round to fixing it. I resized it and that seemed to sort it. Thank you so much Gem! I sometimes feel embarrassed about having a blog when I am generally so useless with technology!

      Delete
  9. Your cupcakes look fab - i love this recipe and have baked these a couple of times! Nutella is just soooo good! The header looks really good but I cant help with the problems you are having with it :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nutella is the best! I go through phases of buying/eating loads and then worrying that I might be getting fat so I have to stop buying it!

      Delete
  10. Oh my word - such cakey goodness.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! VERY tasty cakey goodness :)

      Delete
  11. Nutella cupcakes are always a winner! I made some just before Christmas and they were really well received! Yours look gorgeous! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so have to try these cupcakes - they look great & I love nutella! I really like the new header too - lovely pic! I'm not too sure what you could do re: editing photo but I have often used Gimp to edit and mess around with pictures so you could give that a go if you're stuck. I think it's pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thoroughly recommend the recipe, although your waistline may not thank me! I've heard Gimp is quite good so I may look into it, thanks!

      Delete
  13. These cakes have made me so hungry! I've always wondered about doing Nutella icing but I'm useless doing the icing altogether! But I did once put a dollop of it in the middle of cakes, which turned out... ok. Ha! I might treat myself to this book at some point, looks like there's some good stuff in there:)

    & sorry about your pot plants! Maybe try again when it's a bit warmer :) Plants are a bit of a pain, I hope my rose doesn't die or I'll be quite gutted!

    Your header looks great too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully my mum managed to bring a couple of them back to life. She'll have to teach me her green fingered ways! Hope your rose bush is coming along nicely.

      Delete
  14. I love nutella cupcakes and usually use the hummingbird recipe too. It's absolutely awesome. Love the new header and good luck with your future endeavours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ros! I don't know why it has taken me so long to try out the Hummingbird chocolate cupcake recipe, it's definitely a winner.

      Delete
  15. I think your new header is very pretty! Nutella is one of those most delicious things ever invented, and I'm glad the cakes turned out so well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I completely agree about Nutella. I finished my jar today and felt quite sad about it. Surely somebody should invent a magical refilling nutella jar so it never ends.

      Delete