Being the lovely daughter that I am, I made a cake for Mother's Day (not that I take much persuasion to make a cake). I decided on the orange cake from the new Primrose Bakery Book I bought last week. It leapt into my shopping basket, demanding to be bought. I really had no choice in the matter.
The recipe made a light, fluffy sponge cake. It was a basic Victoria sponge mixture with the grated zest of an orange, nothing too complicated.
The cake looked beautiful, especially with the orange glaze drizzling down the sides. Somehow it makes a cake look even more appealing.
My only complaint is the orange buttercream. It tasted a bit..... odd? Not bad, but odd. Maybe too buttery and not enough icing sugar. I usually taste my icing before using it but for some reason I didn't bother this time. I find unsalted butter a bit strange in general, in fact I often use slightly salted butter in my buttercream and I like the flavour (just don't use it in cooked frosting, it tastes AWFUL.) That's the only thing I would change with the cake.
I also made a little Mother's Day card to go with the cake. It's fun to do a bit of (scruffy) embroidery every so often.
Now I need to turn my attention back to Desperate Housewives on tv. Hope everyone had a great weekend!
This looks delicious...it looks like the perfect slice...very light and well risen! :-)
ReplyDeleteI think is it the way they make and train these cookbooks. So many of them just jump in my basket or hand as I go round shops. It's our fault - blame them!
ReplyDeleteThe cake does look wonderful, I am sure she was very pleased with it.
Yum, your lucky mum! Usually I'm not a fan of orange flavour in baked goods but this cake looks so inviting I'm pretty sure it would make me change my mind! I bet your mum loved it!
ReplyDeleteYummmmmm! Such a fan of a bit of drizzly glaze, I would take that kind of icing over buttercream always. I think I might have that Primrose Bakery book, might have to have a go of this myself! PS: Desperate Housewives is amazeballs! ;)
ReplyDeleteWhat a Yummy looking cake!! The card you made is very pretty..I always think it is nice to give handmade things, they always seem to mean more then just shop bought ones.
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely week
Magie
These orange cake looks amazingly delicious & the color is so stunning! So sweet of you to make lovely mother's day card! You are really adorable! :)
ReplyDeleteThis is such a sunshine-y cake, makes me so excited for summer! I love your little card, so pretty!
ReplyDeleteI have wanted to make this cake for so long! I got the book for Christmas but have just never got round to doing it. It looks amazing :) x
ReplyDeletethat looks divine... I'm looking for a cake to make and hey here it is!
ReplyDeletehttp://fourteaspoons.blogspot.co.uk/
x