A different type of post for you all today! I made a brooch for a birthday gift last month using a floral brooch tutorial on Gem's blog. It's simple, effective and makes a really sweet homemade gift.
I think the most fun part was choosing a button for the centre. I love buttons! So much so that I have three or fours tins/tubs full of them. They're a mixture of inherited and shop bought which makes them an interesting pile to rummage through.
There's something very satisfying about running a finger through a tub of buttons.
I finished the reverse of the brooch with another piece of felt, a brooch fastening which pierced the felt backing and clipped into place (hurray no sewing!) and some blanket stitching. Shamefully I had to google "how to blanket stitch" as I had forgotten how to do it!
I finished the reverse of the brooch with another piece of felt, a brooch fastening which pierced the felt backing and clipped into place (hurray no sewing!) and some blanket stitching. Shamefully I had to google "how to blanket stitch" as I had forgotten how to do it!
I definitely want to make more of these brooches as they're fun and a great way of using up fabric scraps from previous projects. I stuck to only one fabric for this brooch as I liked the effect of the stripes, but I can't wait to try a multi fabric one. Thank you Gem for such a great design!
It looked lovely against my mustard cardigan.... and my gloriously pasty, Scottish skin. Yikes!
I used to do a fair bit of sewing, initially clothes for my barbie dolls and later cushion covers, bags, skirts and even a pair of trousers! I bought a 1970s dress pattern last year in a charity shop for 50p with the intention of doing more sewing but I have yet to find the perfect fabric. The sensible part of me wants a plain, versatile dress but my inner pattern magpie wants to buy this elephant fabric! Or perhaps this cool view finder print (any of the fabric from that site really). I also have a ridiculous urge to add ric-rac to something, especially after seeing this polka dot number on the Coletterie website.
I'm sensing the inner magpie is going to win the battle.
I'm sensing the inner magpie is going to win the battle.




Ah, it looks lovely Jo!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you even found that tutorial, its sooo old!
Glad you had fun making it, its nice and easy too.
Lots of love
Gem xx
The brooch is pretty, I agree it goes lovely with the mustard yellow cardigan :)
ReplyDeleteDo share which dress fabric you end up choosing..tough decisions!
Magie x
This is awesome! I love the striped fabric and the button in the middle, I have a love of buttons too! I always use them in my scrapbooking! If you're into this kind of thing you should sign up to cut out and keep, it's an awesome crafting community and if you go to the swap shop board you can take part in all kinds of fun craft swaps with people all over the world, you could make these brooches as things to swap! I particularly like their candy swaps too and love getting paired with Americans for them!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely brooch!
ReplyDeleteThat is beautiful and I agree it looks fab with the cardi! I am not a crafty person at all, I can't even sew a button on I am ashamed to say. I do like buttons though. I have a drawer of them and I'm not really sure why! Anyway this post just reminded me that I saw this the other day and thought of you, something to put on your Christmas list! http://tillymintboutique.wordpress.com/2012/07/11/tea-time-treat/
ReplyDelete