It's only been a few weeks since I last featured scones but when strawberries are in season this is one of my favourite ways to enjoy them.
Unlike last time, I actually made these scones! I had mentioned that for some reason I find it difficult to make good scones so Gem offered her favourite scone recipe for me to try out.
I am pleased to report that they were a success! They were so lovely and fluffy fresh from the oven. Thank you Gem! I'll definitely use this recipe again.
You may also notice that I've been on a labelling frenzy this week. My blog was terrible to navigate in terms of looking for recipes with particular flavours or ingredients in mind. Hopefully this will be much more organised.
It is also interesting to see what I bake most. True to my blog title, cake is what I bake most and I appear to be a big fan of buttercream! I was also genuinely surprised by how often I bake with chocolate as I honestly didn't think I used it that often. Unsurprisingly, lemon was the next most popular.
Scones
Recipe from Gem, with permission to blog.
450g self-raising flour
100g butter, slightly soft
50g caster sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
About 250ml milk
Preheat the oven to 220C and grease a baking tray. In a large bowl rub together the flour, butter, sugar and baking powder using your fingers until the butter is all mixed in. Add milk gradually and stir together using a knife to cut through and bring together to avoid overworking it. Plonk onto a floured surface and cut out your scones. Don't twist the cutter! Brush with a beaten egg yolk and bake for about 12 minutes depending on the size of your scones.

Ah so glad they worked for you Jo, and the recipe was ok!
ReplyDeleteHope others enjoy the recipe too! xx
They look delicious! Xx
ReplyDeleteThere's only one word that comes to mind ... YUM!!!!! They look divine!
ReplyDeleteThey look perfect! I made some this week too to go with my tea review...great minds etc :)
ReplyDeletedelicious:) Look amazing! and love scones!
ReplyDeleteScones are my all-time favourite...I love a good scone and I love afternoon tea!! However, I don't make them myselft very often so I might have to give these a go, they look great!! :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks for your lovely comment on my blog.I skipped past your photos of the scones as I'm on a strict diet! I love them though,and with jam and clotted cream they are one of life's pleasures.Do you put the jam on first or the cream? :0)
ReplyDeleteThese look absolutely amazing!
ReplyDeleteThese look like perfect scones! I made some for the first time recently and most of them flumped over in the oven. They still tasted good but I think they would have tasted better if they looked like these!
ReplyDeleteThese are so perfectly formed! and look seriously tasty, my husband just looked at them and said 'hmmm scones'!! and I love the addition of fresh strawberries! I'm loving making the most of the strawberries and raspberries in season too.
ReplyDeleteOh my I am such a sucker for a good scone...one of my favourite things to eat ...yours are so pretty and photographed so well. Thank you for sharing...my have to make these today adding fresh blueberries. xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteI love how tall these scones are, they look magnificent. I had scones earlier today and your post has made me crave some more now!
ReplyDeleteI've never made plain scones before but I really should. These look perfect!
ReplyDelete