I love chai tea, or "ninja tea" as it's referred to in my family as mum once asked if I was going to order a tai chi latte in a cafe. We like our tea martial arts style.
Sadly I do not own any ninja shaped biscuits cutters, however I do have a cute teapot shaped cutter which I've had for about 3 years but never used. Perfect for tea flavoured biscuits!
I was a bit late jumping on the chai tea band wagon, only discovering it last year, so when Whittards offered me some flavours from their instant chai tea range to bake with I was more than a little bit excited.
For the biscuits I altered a Peggy Porschen biscuit recipe, adding chocolate chai to one half of the dough and the spiced chai to the other. I piped melted chocolate on to the chocolate chai batch to enhance the chocolate flavour which I felt was a nice touch visually and flavour wise. Both batches were subtley spiced and crispy and had a lovely, creamy after taste; surprisingly moreish and perfect for dipping in a milky drink, although I photographed mine with an ordinary chai tea to keep the chai theme going.
My only complaint is that a few of the biscuits were a bit tough/chewy as I must have overhandled the dough when rerolling but other than that I was very happy with them.
I think the instant chai worked really well in the
biscuits. Now I'm debating whether I should try adding some of my
flavoured hot chocolates to my baking.
Stay tuned for some more tea themed bakes! I'm going to have a bit of a tea series and will post my next bake within the next few days.
Stay tuned for some more tea themed bakes! I'm going to have a bit of a tea series and will post my next bake within the next few days.
Chocolate chai and spiced chai latte biscuits
Recipe altered from Peggy Porschen's chocolate teaspoon biscuits in Boutique Baking.
200g unsalted butter
100g caster sugar
100g soft light brown sugar
pinch of salt
1 egg
175g plain flour and 25g instant chocolate chai
175g plain flour and 25g instant spiced chai
Line a couple of baking trays with greaseproof paper. Beat together the butter, salt and sugars until smooth. Beat the egg in another bowl and slowly add to the butter mixture until fully incorporated. Divide the mixture between two bowls and add the flour and chocolate chai powder to one half and flour and spiced chai powder to the other. Mix until the doughs just come together, gather into balls and wrap them separately in cling film. Chill for 30 minutes.
Place the dough on a floured surface and knead briefly. Roll the dough 3-4mm thick and cut out shapes using a cutter. (I used different cutters for each batch so I wouldn't get confused between flavours.) Place the biscuits onto the prepared trays and chill again for another 30 minutes. Meanwhile preheat your oven to 175C/Gas 3.
Bake for 6 minutes or until the biscuits spring back to touch (mine took about 10 minutes). Once baked, leave them on their trays to cool for about 30 minutes. Decorate with piped icing or melted chocolate once fully cool although they work absolutely fine as plain biscuits too.
Disclaimer: I was sent tea products to bake with as Whittards recognised that I'm a cake/biscuit obsessed crazy tea lady. They're a brand I enjoy and have purchased from before. I was not paid for this post and all opinions expressed are my own.
Disclaimer: I was sent tea products to bake with as Whittards recognised that I'm a cake/biscuit obsessed crazy tea lady. They're a brand I enjoy and have purchased from before. I was not paid for this post and all opinions expressed are my own.





Your biscuits are lovely - I want to bake with chai too! Love that chai is called ninja tea in your house - family jokes like that are priceless. We always call The Incredible Hulk 'the incurable bulk' after my gran got a little confused once!
ReplyDeleteHahaha, the incurable bulk, I like it.
DeleteOo these are so pretty and I love all you lovely plates and tea cups. I think I'd like to try baking a bit more with different teas. I made lady grey cupcakes a little while ago and enjoyed them but like the idea of biscuits. Can't beat a brew with a biscuit to dunk in!
ReplyDeleteLady grey cupcakes sound lovely. Not drank lady grey in years! I always liked its citrussy flavour. It used to be my tea of choice to keep in studio at art school as it meant I didn't need to buy milk.
DeleteSooo cute! I love these and the plate of course:) your china is always beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThanks Gloria! The china used to be part of a set which belonged to my Granny. It's very pretty but I don't think I've ever featured it on my blog before.
DeleteWhilst I think the tea and biscuits look lovely, I can't help but be drawn to the vintage sheet!!! :) x
ReplyDeleteWell you are a vintage sheet addict after all Ada! Funnily enough I did think it was very "you" when I bought it.
DeleteI haven't tried chai tea yet let alone bake with it! Sounds intriguing though and I wouldn't say no to eating biscuits like yours! Your photos are gorgeous - perfectly styled as always
ReplyDeleteThanks VK! You should join the chai party. If you like cinnamon and ginger flavours then you'll love it.
ReplyDeleteI don't think I've tried chai tea yet but I love the sound of the chocolate version! It's always enjoyable baking with new flavours and it sounds like this turned out so well - I love your teapot cutters too.
ReplyDeleteThanks Lucy! I really need to use that cutter more often. When I bake biscuits I tend to get fixated on my dinosaur cutters but this time I made a conscious effort to use different ones!
ReplyDeleteYour biscuits all look so cute, especially that teapot which is particularly apt for these biscuits. It's very hard not to over-handle biscuit dough if you are re-rolling it, so not sure what the answer to that is. Dunking I guess ;-)
ReplyDeleteHahaha - ninja tea, that's brilliant! Gorgeous biscuits, definitely bookmarking this one. I think the next few months is going to be tea-baking-filled for me too, I got a bumper pack of teas for my birthday and since I'm quite fussy on what teas I actually drink, they will probably make their way into something baked! Sorry not replied to your email yet- will do very soon!:)
ReplyDelete