Sunday, 14 April 2013

Earl grey tea loaf

There's something a bit old fashioned about a tea loaf so it only seemed appropriate to photograph it with my 1940s Berylware crockery.


This loaf is a great way of using up questionable looking dried fruit as soaking them in the tea plumps them up beautifully. Nobody would know that they are quite possibly past their sell by date.

 
The fruit bursts with orange flavour in this very citrussy flavoured loaf although I think the star of this bake is the syrup topping. It's like a sticky, sweet marmalade. The zingy-ness of it contrasts well the heavier texture of the loaf.


I like to think that this is a healthy bake because of the amount of fruit it contains: dried cranberries, sultanas, raisins, orange and lemon. That's your 5-a-day covered! It's also dairy free.


My only slight niggle is the amount tea flavour. Although Earl Grey is a citrus tea (a black tea blended with the flavour of bergamot oranges) I felt its distinctive flavour didn't quite come through with this loaf (for me anyway) despite the overall flavour being very orangey. If I made this again I would perhaps brew the tea a little longer before adding to the dried fruit.


And that's the end of my mini tea series, hope you enjoyed it! A massive thank you to the folks at Whittards for giving me a lovely tea selection to bake with.

I'm also entering this bake into Kat's Sweet Leftovers Link Party as my dried fruit was on the brink of being thrown out.

Earl grey tea loaf
I came across multiple variations of this Jamie Oliver recipe online. I don't know what the exact recipe is, but this is what I did:

100g dried cranberries
200g sultanas
100g raisins
1 orange, zest and juice
1 duck egg
200g golden caster sugar
400g self-raising flour
1 level tsp. mixed spice
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ginger

1 lemon, zest and juice
100g caster sugar
200ml water
2 earl grey tea bags

Pour 300ml of boiling water over 4 teabags in a jug. Leave to brew for 5 minutes then remove the teabags. Put all your dried fruit and orange zest in a bowl and pour in the brewed tea. Stir, cover with clingfilm and leave overnight (or if you're a night time baker like me, leave them to soak all day.)

Preheat the oven to Gas 4 and line a 1l loaf tin. Beat the egg in a separate bowl before adding to the soaked fruit. Then add the sugar, flour, spices and orange juice. Mix well and put into the tin. Bake in the centre of the oven for 1hr 10 minutes or until golden on top and a skewer/knife is clean when inserted into the centre of the loaf. Mine actually took about 1hr 30 minutes to cook, covering the top with baking parchment for the last 15-20 minutes to prevent it from burning. Start making the syrup in the last 5-10 minutes of the loaf baking.

For the syrup topping, place 2 teabags in a saucepan with the water, lemon juice and zest. Gently bring to the boil, removing the teabags after a couple of minutes. Add the sugar and bring back to the boil without stirring. On a medium heat let it boil steadily for 5-10 minutes until the mixture has reduced by half and is syrupy. Prick the cake and pour/brush the syrup on top of the cake and leave the loaf to cool in the tin.

Disclaimer: I was sent tea products to bake with as Whittards recognised that I'm a cake/biscuit obsessed crazy tea lady. They're a brand I enjoy and have purchased from before. I was not paid for this post and all opinions expressed are my own.

12 comments:

  1. A delicious looking loaf and of course it's healthy - it has 5 a day :) I often find baking with tea disappointing as the flavours don't really come through. Perhaps it's too subtle for my palate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've baked earl grey cupcakes before from the hummingbird bakery cakedays book and the flavour definitely came through with them. There were more flavours going on with this recipe which perhaps overpowered the earl grey. Still a tasty loaf though.

      Delete
  2. It looks yummy, but am trying to distract myself with the lovely china as I really don't need to be eating cake if I want to get into my summer dresses. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tea loafs are great - but I'm yet to experiment with anything other than english breakfast tea, so thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, a cake I can eat! I love earl grey too.....could I swap the duck egg for chicken ones? :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a large hen's egg would be fine. Happy baking Ada!

      Delete
  5. Your syrup topping looks delicious. Beautiful china set too. Great colour. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jo,

    This cake looks fab, my hubby would wolf it down!

    Thank you for linking up to the Sweet Leftovers Link Party this week.

    Hope to see you again next week :-) xx

    I LOVE YOUR CHINA! My hubby won't let me buy any (but I buy a sneaky teapot every now and again)

    xx Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always say it's for your blog and that you couldn't possibly bake if you didn't have more fancy crockery ;)

      You never know, the threat of no cake might work!

      Delete
  7. I've tried baking with tea before too and found that the tea flavour got lost along the way somewhere. I reckon that a strong brew would fix it next time!
    Lovely photos - you can't beat a bit of utility china to set things off a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmmm! The cake looks yummy, the tea looks yummy..... even your plates and cups look yummy! :-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this, from the scrumptious looking cake to the equally scrumptious (in my eyes) Berylware. It looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete