Thursday, 11 April 2013

Vanilla chai tea latte cake

I had a chai-normous amount of fun baking this cake. (HA! See what I did there?)


Awful puns aside, I was really pleased with this cake. I immediately knew what I wanted to bake when I saw instant vanilla chai in my bundle of goodies from Whittards: a fluffy, spiced, brown sugar sponge with a sweet, vanilla cream cheese butter icing. The homemade stencil decoration was a last minute addition to cover up my slightly lumpy icing (perhaps my butter was too cold?) and I think it looks fun although I may have been a tad overzealous with my cinnamon dusting as it caught the back of my throat a little when eating the cake!

 
I wasn't sure how much the vanilla chai flavour would come through (I baked this while my biscuit dough was in the fridge) but it worked really well. I thought there was a good balance between warm, cinnamony spices and vanilla sweetness.


It actually took a couple of weeks to get round to baking as I was enjoying just drinking the vanilla chai, but I'm glad I eventually did. I'm definitely making this cake again providing I don't drink all the chai first.


For a bit of fun I put a different flavour of instant chai in each cup for myself, my brother and mum to try. Out of the three we all liked the vanilla chai the most. I liked its sweeter edge over the spiced chai (I do have a raging sweet tooth after all) although the spiced chai was more refreshing and, well, spiced (you can tell I'm going to be inundated with product reviews with descriptions like that.) The chocolate chai was lovely too and makes a nice alternative to hot chocolate if you want something comforting but not as sickly sweet.


Hope you're all enjoying my tea series! I'll be back with my final tea themed bake on Sunday.

Vanilla chai tea latte cake
Own recipe 

Sponges:
200g (7oz) soft light brown sugar
200g (7oz) margarine
3 large (7oz) eggs
170g (6oz) self-raising flour
30g (1oz) instant vanilla chai
2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Cream cheese butter icing:
300g icing sugar
50g softened butter
175g cream cheese
a few drops of vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Grease and line two 20cm round cake tins. Beat together the sugar and margarine until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating between each addition, and add a tablespoon of the flour with the last egg to stop the mixture from curdling. Add the flour, chai, milk, cinnamon and vanilla and mix everything together until just fully incorporated. Divide the batter between the two tins and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for approx. 25 minutes until risen, golden and springy to touch. Leave to cool in the tins for around 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.

For the icing just beat everything together for a few minutes until light and fluffy and use to fill and top the cake. For some reason the butter stayed a bit lumpy with me but wasn't too visually horrifying and still tasted fine. Finish with a dusting of cinnamon.

Disclaimer: I was sent tea products to bake with as Whittards recognised that I'm a cake/biscuit obsessed crazy tea lady. They're a brand I enjoy and have purchased from before. I was not paid for this post and all opinions expressed are my own.

16 comments:

  1. That cake sounds heavenly. I love chai and although I haven't had vanilla chai, I'm sure it would make for a fantastic cake flavouring. Love your stencilled top, it looks very professional and not like a cover up job at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EVERYTHING just looks delightful! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake looks scrummy and the table setting is divine ... Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stencil on this cake is amazing! I love cream cheese icing so I know I would find it hard to resist this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds lovely and I love the pretty stencilling on top - really makes it look special

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely flavour for a cake! It looks lovely and I bet it tastes great too...I love the stencilling on top even if it was a last minute addition, it really makes the cake! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for spreading the chai love Jo!

    Chai is such a delicious & versatile flavour and more people need to know about it.

    Drink Me Chai is an instant powdered version of the original chai, and it is great for baking and using in cakes such as the one you made above.

    Instead of adding individual spices, our powder can be added to milkshakes, smoothies, breads, cakes, muffins ... any form of baking in fact.

    We also hear from our customers that they add it to porridge and protein drinks to improve the flavour.

    We will tweet and FaceBook your fab blog as chai vanilla cake is no doubt mouth-watering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tweets and links. Just checked out your facebook page and saw that someone has baked my cake with your chai. Brilliant!

      Will definitely try adding chai to porridge, yummy idea.

      Delete
  8. Sounds great! I'll give it a try. By the way, your whole blogs is sooo lovely!
    I will follow you to get more of these lovely recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so pretty! I love the stencil decoration on top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gem! I thought it was quite a crafty cover up job!

      Delete
  10. I am making this imminently! Can't wait to chai it... arf arf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! I was secretly hoping somebody would make a chai related pun.

      Delete
  11. I found your blog via Cakes from Kim, and I love it! I only have vanilla chai tea bags at the moment but will check out Whittards next time I am allowed in! (Have way too many varieties to get through!) you cake looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete