Wednesday, 21 January 2015

2015 sewing plans

And just when everybody does a massive sigh of relief thinking all the "plans for 2015" type blog posts have finally rolled past here I come with mine. Ha ha!

I was a bit naughty a couple of weeks ago as I purchased some Happy New Year To Me sewing patterns. What initially was "I'll just buy a couple of new patterns to try out" turned into "I MUST HAVE ALL THE PATTERNS!"


It took me a few days to decide which pattern to delve into first as I was having serious Gollum "my precioussss" tendencies stroking all the packaging. Now that the stroking compulsion has subsided I've settled on the Emery pattern as I already have suitable fabric in my stash. I've made a toile of the bodice and the fit looks more hopeful than the darted dress bodice I had previously been working on which was riddled with fitting issues. I've also purchased Pati Palmer's "Fit For Real People" book so I can hopefully figure out what the hell's going on with my upper back/shoulders/armholes.

As well as getting to grips with my fitting issues I'd like to learn to sew with knits this year, especially since I now own a snazzy overlocker. Comfort ranks high in my day to day wear so I'd be delighted if I could make my own knit/jersey tops and dresses. Tilly's cute patterns look like an ideal place to start.

I got excited and prewashed a pile of fabric. Woohoo!

I'm also seriously swooning over the idea of making my own dungarees so I *needed* Pauline Alice's Turia pattern. I'm envisaging a funky, corduroy pair. Oh yeaaah! My brain is almost bursting with excitement just visualising it. Watch this space! Perhaps not too closely though, it'll probably be a while before I get to them as I'm a slow coach.

So that's my sewing plans. I'd better get to work then. GO JO, GO!

12 comments:

  1. I love the 'Gollum tendencies' - I have those, too! LOL! Your new patterns are fabrics are so pretty. I really love the Emery dress and it fit me beautifully right out of the package! I am quite tempted by Tilly's Coco pattern, too. There are so many great versions out there.

    I highly recommend Sewaholic's Renfrew pattern for an easy to sew and easy to fit knit shirt. It's my TNT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation, Sarah. I must admit it was a toss up between the Renfrew and the Coco but since I was definitely purchasing Tilly's Francoise pattern I thought I'd go with the Coco. I'll see how I get on with these patterns but I'm still tempted by the versatility of the Renfrew.
      So far I'm having problems with the shape of the armhole at the front of my Emery bodice along with and a lot of strange baginess in the upper back bodice. At least all the darts are looking pretty good so it's not a total loss. I'm hopeful it's all fixable.

      Delete
  2. Go Jo Go!!!! Anything you learn about knits please pass them on. I am seriously knit adverse and at my age I should get over it. I will wait right here by my computer until you get back to me.....hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I shall pall along my wisdom if or when it comes along. Tilly's Coco is aimed at beginners and advises using a sturdier knit like an interlock/ponte roma, so it shouldn't be too scary and stretchy to start out with.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Me neither! Haha, need to getting myself organised.

      Delete
  4. Ooooh how exciting - all those fresh new patterns for you to try out. I bet it was fun though deciding which one to use first. The Pati Palmer book sounds good as I have a big boobage, narrow back and broad shoulders and can never get my dresses to fit happily. I always end up with a 'gape' at the back of the neck. Oh, and thanks too for recommending Heather B's blog for pattern grading - I'll check it out. Happy sewing Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! I seem to have a big pouch of horizontal folds across the upper back, it's driving me nuts! I have a feeling it's a combination of things - like erect or short upper back with broad shoulders and prominent shoulder blades. I thought I had forward shoulders too or possibly a broad back, but now I'm not so sure (willing to be proved wrong though!) It's all a bit mind boggling. Fit For Real People has been so interesting to read through though, I'd definitely recommend it.

      Delete
  5. They look wonderful, I'm looking forward to seeing the end results.. And a big yes to dungarees! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha! Dungarees seem to provoke love or hate reactions, but I'm definitely in the love camp. And the more outrageous the colour the better!

      Delete
  6. Hellooo i have just found your blog via "did you make That" so glad i did....loving your fabrics choices...
    bestest daisy j x

    ReplyDelete