It was my cousin's birthday last Friday so naturally I baked her a cake. She's a big fan of Bounty chocolate bars so I knew a chocolate and coconut cake would go down a treat.
Although I was initially miffed that I couldn't get my
hands on some shredded coconut, toasted desiccated
coconut made a pretty cake covering along with some chopped up chunks of Bounty bars. My favourite thing about using desiccated coconut to finish a cake is
that you can be as messy as you like with the butter icing underneath.
Nobody will know!
Word of warning though, watch your desiccated coconut like a hawk when it's toasting in the oven as it really doesn't take long to colour. Yup, you guessed it, Iincinerated burnt the first
batch.
This is definitely a grown up chocolate cake - dark, rich and almost fudgy in texture. It balanced nicely with the creamy, sweet, coconut icing. I think my cousin was delighted that a dark, chocolatey cake was hiding beaneath the light, fluffy exterior.
Word of warning though, watch your desiccated coconut like a hawk when it's toasting in the oven as it really doesn't take long to colour. Yup, you guessed it, I
This is definitely a grown up chocolate cake - dark, rich and almost fudgy in texture. It balanced nicely with the creamy, sweet, coconut icing. I think my cousin was delighted that a dark, chocolatey cake was hiding beaneath the light, fluffy exterior.
The cake recipe is from the Primrose Bakery, the same cake I baked for my sister in law
a couple of years ago. The only change I made was swapping the milk for
coconut milk. I also only used the two sponges as I didn't need to make
a huge, triple layer cake (and it meant I got to keep a layer at home
for myself, yay!) The recipe is a bit labour intensive and you end up
with a lot of bowls to wash up, but it's definitely worth the effort for
a fancier occasion.
For the icing I used 500g icing sugar, 115g butter (half salted, half unsalted as that's what I had to hand), 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extact and 60ml coconut milk - beat it together for a good 5 minutes until very light and fluffy and it easily fills and covers the cake. I used a couple of boxes of desiccated coconut to toast but probably only needed one as I had loads left over. The coconut was patted on by hand after icing the cake.
A fancy cake requires fancy china! I think my Aunty said that this gold china set belonged to my Uncle's Granny and dates around the 1880s. I've already forgotten the brand, I think it was Royal Albert, but it's a very stylish set. I love the square shaped side plates. I'm also a sucker for thin, shaped rimmed teacups.
Two birthday cakes baked and devoured in the first week and a half of 2015. Not bad!
For the icing I used 500g icing sugar, 115g butter (half salted, half unsalted as that's what I had to hand), 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extact and 60ml coconut milk - beat it together for a good 5 minutes until very light and fluffy and it easily fills and covers the cake. I used a couple of boxes of desiccated coconut to toast but probably only needed one as I had loads left over. The coconut was patted on by hand after icing the cake.
A fancy cake requires fancy china! I think my Aunty said that this gold china set belonged to my Uncle's Granny and dates around the 1880s. I've already forgotten the brand, I think it was Royal Albert, but it's a very stylish set. I love the square shaped side plates. I'm also a sucker for thin, shaped rimmed teacups.
Two birthday cakes baked and devoured in the first week and a half of 2015. Not bad!






A real beauty of a cake. The layer of coconut covered icing looks so soft and fluffy! What do you think of the primrose bakery chocolate cake recipe compared with the one you used in your hot chocolate cake?
ReplyDeleteOoh good question! The Primrose Bakery one is more rich, indulgent and dense in texture, so ultimately it depends what you're looking for in a chocolate cake. If you're after something lighter in texture but still very juicy then the hot chocolate cake fits the bill. I probably still favour the hot chocolate cake recipe as it is so quick and easy to make without really compromising on flavour.
DeleteBreak out the good china! That is such a lovely way to celebrate, great chocolately cake and tea in porcelain. Bounty bars are great but I have just stumbled upon the Coconut Intense Lindt Bar......and its mighty fine too...more expensive but just the right amount of coconut in chocolate.
ReplyDeleteThanks Susan! I've heard about Lindt's coconut chocolate bars but have yet to actually find one. I only seem to come across their raspberry or orange flavoured bars.
DeleteThis looks and sounds amazing, I may have to try and make it for my mum as she LOVES Bountys too :)
ReplyDeleteMaria xxx
Oooh yes, do it do it! :D
DeleteThis is my cake heaven - love chocolate and coconut. I too never understand why it's nigh on impossible to find shredded coconut....it's not much to ask for is it?
ReplyDeleteThat was exactly my thought after leaving the fifth shop empty handed :( I was even tempted to buy a big bag of muesli just to pick out all the pieces of shredded coconut. Then I realised how ridiculous that would be and just bought desiccated coconut instead. Haha!
DeleteOoh this looks scrummy, I love chocolate and coconut, although not quite as much as CT who keeps sneakily buying packs of bounty bars and eating them when I'm not looking. I have a whole bag of shredded coconut and don't know what to do with it - well I didn't before I read this.
ReplyDeleteThat's a dangerous thing to admit Choclette, you may find me and Caked Crusader at your front door trying to steal it from you!
DeleteOh, and Happy New Year too.
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year! That is a gorgeous looking birthday cake. I'm sure your cousin was well pleased. I love the square plate too, so pretty.
ReplyDeleteOh my what a cake that is, I think you've captured the Bounty is cake form perfectly!
ReplyDeleteOh yes Jo, this is the cake that dreams are made of!!!! Looks soooo amazing! and I love that you used Primrose Bakery's choc cake because that's my fave recipe too and I've also swapped out the milk for coconut milk before with it too - and now you're making me crave some! You have one very lucky cousin that's for sure!
ReplyDelete