Saturday, 10 January 2015

"maybe that yellow one is a minion..?"

It's probably a bad idea to ask your Aunty and Granny to make a Star Wars themed cake when neither of them have seen any of the Star Wars films (yes, I know, sorry) but that's what my nephew requested for his birthday this year.  Why not start the year with a challenge!


After a quick image search Mum and I decided to roughly copy some cute little Star Wars themed cupcakes we'd seen floating around the interwebz to go around our planet cake. We thought the fondant faces looked easy enough to achieve but my god they were fiddly! Especially that black and red horn guy.

*I apologise to all the die hard Star Wars fans who are either shouting at me in disgust or quietly dying inside.*


Despite our lack of patience with fondant modelling and complete Star Wars ingnorance I think we did a pretty good job. The birthday boy was impressed by our efforts too, thankfully!

For the cakes we used a straight forward 3 egg victoria sponge recipe, dividing the batter between a 12 hole bun tin and a 7" round cake tin. Nice and simple. Except I burnt the first mixture. *Groan* At least it was easy to whip up a second batch.

15 comments:

  1. Those Minions....they get everywhere! Any little Star Wars fan would love it :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda. I must shamefully admit that I haven't seen Despicable Me either!! But I do recognise minions. Like you say, they get everywhere!

      Delete
  2. The Star Wars cupcakes look so cute. I thought this post was hilarious too, Jo, you've got a great way with words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. That has made my day :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! I rarely work with fondant icing as it's a bit of a faff but it does produce fun results.

      Delete
  4. Aw, I love them. I must admit, I've never seen Star Wars either, so I'm not sure who they are supposed to be, but I'm sure they were well-received.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Char. They were very well received thankfully. Also glad to know I'm not the only person who hasn't seen Star Wars!

      Delete
  5. This is so awesome! The little Leia is so cute - I'd eat her first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah! I chose to eat her as I thought she had cute hair.

      Delete
  6. Wooooow that is awesome! I love R2D2 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elise. I'm so relieved people are recognising characters, haha!

      Delete
  7. If I were a kid who loved star wars I'd be over the moon to get a cake like this. I can't really comment on the likeness as I'm not a star wars fan mysely but great job on the decorating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ros! I almost feel I need to watch Star Wars now to see all these characters properly!

      Delete