Wednesday, 5 October 2011

23

It was my birthday on Monday. Birthdays are great because they involve cake. This is what Mum baked for me this year.



It was an afternoon tea party cake, complete with fondant icing ham sandwiches! Although I have to admit she didn't completely make it by herself....


Dad even made a layer of the sponge! He thinks his sponge is the best. Doesn't he look lovely in an apron?

I also received some great birthday presents this year.


Shiny patent shoes! I knew I was getting these though because I had to try them on. The colour in the photo isn't quite right, they're a bright bluey purple.


I got a new winter scarf from Uncle Johnny and Aunty Janice and a jam/chutney making kit from Andrew and Fiona. Is it wrong that I'm so excited about a cooking thermometer? Alex, my 3 year old nephew, drew a portrait of me. I like that he thinks I have massively long legs. Mum and Dad also bought me a Diana Mini camera which I am absolutely delighted with and can't wait to use. I knew a few people at uni who were really into Diana photography but I got my fancy pants digital SLR for my 21st so I didn't feel the need to buy other cameras at the time. This camera is so tiny, it looks ridiculously small next to my SLR. I haven't taken a photo of my other birthday present from Mum and Dad. It's large and requires a bit of renovation so I'm leaving it for another blog post. Hope you're all excited!

My birthday package from Eoin and his girlfriend Caitlin arrived in the post yesterday. He gave me the Hairy Bikers "Mums know best" book and Caitlin gave me a girly goody bag including a pretty hairband, cute socks and pens, earrings.


What? Does no else try to fit in the boxes their presents arrive in? Just me then? Ok.

12 comments:

  1. happy birthday and wow what a fabulous cake
    xx fee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly baking runs in your family, your mum's cake is amazing!! I almost didn't believe it was a cake...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Jo!
    I can't believe how amazing that cake is!! And you cut into it!
    Your pressies look lovely, now a jam pan is something I could get excited about! I want to do Xmas chutney as presents this year.
    Glad to see you got your china out, its far too lovely to not use don't you think?!
    Hope you had a wonderful day xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday!! I love birthdays too. What a lovely selection of presents and the most awesome cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday!!
    I love your cake, it's super cute.
    I totally understand that you got excited about cooking thermometer, on my last birthday I got super excited over floral kitchen scales.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday love the cake and your lovely gifts x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! Fab cake, I love it! Clever mum.

    Nicki xx

    PS if you didn't have massively long legs you'd fit in that box ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Jo Happy belated Birthday, what nice treats I love the Cake, your Mom is amazing!and your Dad what sweet is!, love your Birthday! LOL
    gloria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday - I hope you and your fab purple shoes make many trips to stores selling utility china!

    Your cake is great - love the tablecloth

    ReplyDelete
  10. hy Jo,
    chanced upon your space while blog hopping..love your space n lovely writeup...
    wishing you a very happy b day..:)
    have fun..
    happy following u...
    do stop by mine sometime ..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  11. Belated happy birthday! Looks like you had a lovely day, and good god that cake is amazing! I can see where you get your baking talents from! You will have to share how you get on with your Diana - my boyf is camera mad and has an SLR but he has been musing over a Diana for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for all the birthday wishes. I shall let the parents know that the cake has been greatly admired.

    @Kim I finished my first roll of film with my Diana today. I will definitely make a blogpost about my results when I get them developed.

    ReplyDelete