When I received Edd Kimber's new book for Christmas I immediately knew that the first thing I would bake from it would be one of the layer cakes as they all look fantastic. Since Mum requested raspberries and white chocolate as her birthday flavour combination I attempted the Raspberry Ripple cake.
Boy did this cake involve a lot of work. By nature I am not a complicated baker, I like fairly simple recipes and tend to shy away from scary things such as macarons or even meringues, so this was quite a challenge for me.
Mum and her candle-blowing grandsons.
Although everything appeared to have turned out the way it should have, I just wasn't very sure about the overall cake. Similar to Hummingbird Bakery cupcake mixtures, the sponges came out of the oven beautifully risen and fluffy looking, and then after 5 minutes sank flat. Although the sponges had a nice flavour they were quite rich and dense (I suppose there were 6 eggs!) so it didn't take much eating to become full!
The only big problem I encountered was the icing. I was surprised everything went according to plan, it didn't even curdle with me, BUT I realised that I had added salted instead of unsalted butter and the resulting flavour was like licking oily, salty, chocolate meringue (there's a lot of butter in the icing). I rescued it by adding raspberry jam and some icing sugar to sweeten it up and piled fresh raspberries on top which added a clean flavour to cut through the icing.
Although I am pleased I actually managed to create this cake, I still feel slightly miffed that it took loads of time, effort (and butter and eggs!) to make when I probably would have been just as happy with a quick victoria sponge and fresh fruit. I wasn't entirely sold on the italian meringue icing either as the butter gave it such an oily texture, although perhaps it would have worked out better if I had used the specified unsalted butter. It's something I'd quite like to try again. I also think this type of recipe would be a lot easier if I owned a stand mixer as my poor arms and hand held mixer found it hard to multi task with the cooked icing.
Despite all my gripes, it did look super impressive and everybody thought the cake and icing tasted much better the next day. And they couldn't have been lying as there was no cake left for me after work! You'd think a three layer cake would last longer wouldn't you!
It looks utterly delicious! But does sound like it was a lot of work! I love making three layer cakes - but always use hummingbird recipes! xx
ReplyDeleteI haven't tried the hummingbird for layer cake recipes yet but I've had my eye on the maple and pecan one for a while. Just need to find an occasion for it!
DeleteOoo this looks lurrrvely...love layer cakes. Well done for creating such a beauty :)
ReplyDeleteFirstly happy birthday to your mum! The cake looks amazing especially with the raspberries on top. Shame the icing didn't work out - mine was a disaster but in a different way. I don't remember it being salty or oily. Your cake looks well risen- cant see that it has sunk at all! I remember it was quite a light sponge because everyone commented on it. Maybe I'll have to make it again to jog my memory!!
ReplyDeleteThank you! The cakes didn't sink with an uncooked dip so it looked fine when sliced into. Not sure why it wasn't fluffy though as the mixture looked lovely and full of air when it put it in the tins. I'm definitely going to return to the cooked frosting, just need to remind myself to use unsalted butter!
DeleteWow, Jo, this looks amazing! I love the shot of it without a slice, I bet this went down a treat! xxx
ReplyDeleteI saw this book in Waterstones the other day and thought it looked very tempting. This cake looks delicious and so grand with it's three layers and so many raspberries!
ReplyDeleteIt's certainly worth buying for the photography alone. I also like the mixture of recipes and it has a handy section at the back dedicated to basics, such as different sauces and pastries.
DeleteWell your cake certainly looks good...I'm sure your mum appreciated the effort!! I've often wondered whether it makes any difference if you use salted when it says unsalted and vice versa...I've never tried it butI guess the answer is, it does!
ReplyDeleteI've used salted instead of unsalted butter in other recipes and buttercream icing and have never had any problems. It definitely made a difference in the cooked frosting though. I've learnt my lesson!
DeleteIt may have been hardwork or/and a little more complicated - but it looks fantastic, and sounds like it went down brilliantly !
ReplyDeleteWhat a cracking looking cake! Happy birthday to your mum!
ReplyDeleteJo, it looks amazing and I bet your mother was impressed. Sometimes it's worth that extra effort, if only to appreciate how good the simpler cakes are. I had a go at Italian meringue once and it wasn't a success - like you, i don't have a stand mixer. I must try it again though just to see if I can get it right.
ReplyDeleteIt looks delicious! I love a cake decorated in fruit, it always make it look so fresh and exciting! Raspberry and white choc is always a winner too.
ReplyDeleteI love how tall the cake is. And not to mention how silky and spongy each layer looks! :) Lucky mommy!
ReplyDelete