Saturday, 19 October 2013

Dad's birthday carrot cake

For Dad's birthday this year I decided to make a carrot cake. He has been growing vegetables this year so I thought it would be a great idea to use some of his homegrown carrots.


I used my usual carrot cake recipe as I like its chunkiness. It turned out slightly wetter than usual, and it was definitely fully cooked, so I'm putting it down to the amount of orange juice I added (it was a pretty big orange.)



I decided to keep this cake dairy free by using an orange glaze (just icing sugar with fresh orange juice) rather than cream cheese icing as we're fairly sure now that my eldest nephew is lactose/dairy intolerant. I wanted to bake a cake which everybody could enjoy.


Although I probably still prefer a cream cheese icing, the orange glaze complimented the cake really well. I'm on the look out for more dairy free bakes so I'd be delighted if anybody has any good ones to share.


Now for some funny photos! Dad has quite a few hilariously weird carrots. I used only the best mutants for his birthday cake :)


I drew eyes on the carrot on the right as his "growths" looked like an awesome moustache. You have no idea how much enjoyment I got from this.

Easily amused :)

13 comments:

  1. I just adore carrot cake. My mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love carrot cakes :) And a great idea with the glaze, I will try that one as well the next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. look absolutely delicious I love carrots cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love carrot cake and this looks DELICIOUS! Love the mutant carrots too :)

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't see them as mutant carrots (particularly the distinguished gentleman on the right)...they are clearly evolving!

    Lovely cake - the icing drizzle looks so appealin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the decoration. Whilst I agree that cream cheese is perfect, that icing makes the cake much more achievable and more washing up friendly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh ho ho, I love a mutant vegetable! That one with the tache is brilliant. Looks like a great cake, I like how the colours of the sprinkles you've used seem to compliment the colours in the cake really well somehow! Making cakes with homegrown ingredients is even more satisfying I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, I could lie and say I didn't plan to match the sprinkles with the cake but I'm such a coordination freak nobody would believe me! Making a cake with homegrown (mutant) vegetables was very satisfying.

      Delete
  8. We used to grow carrots and got all sorts of misshapen ones that made us laugh too. Lovely bake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie, it's got to a stage that I'm disappointed if the carrots look "normal" !

      Delete
  9. Yum! I was thinking it was a crime not to have cream cheese frosting with a carrot cake (I used to ask my mom to make it when I was younger not cause i love the cake but just for the frosting haha) but now I understand, how lovely of you to try and make one that everyone can eat! Having a food intolerance must be sooo hard - i couldn't even imagine! I tried cushion and cake the other day and thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I don't think I could manage without butter and cheese, especially cream cheese! I just need to be a bit more creative finding alternatives for baking which is never a bad thing. Hope you enjoyed Cushion and Cake!

      Delete