Tuesday, 3 March 2015

I knitted a hat!

That's right, your eyes have not deceived you. I actually knitted this hat. Go me.

Weirdly I hadn't intended to relearn knitting right now (I've started and stopped so many times over the years) but the thought has been sitting quietly at the back of my mind for a while. I've surprised myself.


On a side note, it's really hard to take a good photograph of yourself wearing a hat. I felt like a contortionist trying to get the angle I wanted.

It all started with a handknitted hat my Dad received for Christmas from a family friend. My brother saw it and loved it so my mum offered to knit something similar. As I stood in the wool shop with her, browsing colours and hat patterns, I had a sudden urge to knit my own hat. More specifically, knit a replacement beret style hat for the one I lost in Edinburgh last year on The Day Where Everything Went Wrong (stomach bug, missed my bus, lost my hat, my hatless head got rained on etc.)

This hat is better than my old one though because it has a bow. Me being me, I couldn't help but feel the need to embellish the hat. As you've probably deduced from my blog/style, I struggle with the concept of "plain".


I have to admit that I knitted this hat twice. The first version turned out massive. Spaceship on my head massive. It may have looked cool on a big Jamaican dude with a glorious head of dreadlocks but on me it looked ridiculous. As it only took me two evenings to knit I unravelled the whole thing and started again on needles a size and a half smaller. But not before documenting it on my mobile phone. Big lolz.


I initially worried that hat version 2 would go the opposite and be too small. Admittedly it doesn't have quite as much slouch as the pattern picture shows (Sirdar 9698 Hayfield Chunky with Wool if you're interested) but I like it and considering the wool is 75% acrylic it'll probably grow over time. I think it did me good to reknit the hat too as my stitching was much more even second time round.


I love the swirl created by all the decreases. Knitting feels like some kind of wizardry! This is the first time I've ventured beyond basic scarves and cushion covers, rectangles basically, so this hat feels like a huge achievement. 

 I was feeling pretty funky wearing my hat with my old dungarees.

Dare I say knitting might actually stick with me this time. Sure, I still need to figure out how to fix mistakes instead of just shoving it towards my mum saying "fix please"  but I like how I can knit in bed when I can't sleep (which happens a lot) or on the sofa in front of the tv. Knitting allows me to be lazy and productive at the same time.

Now onto the next hat. Then maybe a cardigan? No, I need to fix the fitting issues on my Christine Haynes Emery bodice and get a dress sewn. Hmmmm, to knit or to sew...

11 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous and I love the first version - haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the first version was too hilarious not to include!

      Delete
  2. You are priceless my dear! Love the hat and yes the second version is more flattering. My daughter has also discovered wool. (Seriously I think you girls could have been pals if you ever lived in the same city.) I think you are discovering what all us "makers" have, creativity is a great cure for boredom and laziness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I always feel guilty if I'm doing nothing - must always be doing something productive! Haha.

      Delete
  3. Hello! I had to pop over after you mentioned your hat with a bow in your comment on my blog - I love it! And I completely understand what you mean about knitting allowing you to be lazy and productive, it's one of the reasons why I enjoy it. And I've also been known to wait until I see my mum to get her to fix knitting problems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth! Thanks for visiting. Aren't Mums the best? ;) I definitely couldn't knit without her guidance. Quite often the actual stitch is relatively simple to do but I just get thrown by the wording of the instructions. It's still a foreign language at the moment!

      Delete
  4. You are so clever, I love love love this hat!


    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely! I'm glad you included the first version - it's reassuring to know things don't always go to plan for everyone :)
    Does the pattern have a name or number? Do you have Ravelry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm all for sharing mistakes. Hopefully it'll help someone else prevent a similar mistake, or at least give them a laugh!

      The pattern is Sirdar 9698 Hayfield Chunky with Wool. Here's a link to it on Wool Warehouse, I chose the bottom right view: http://www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/patterns-and-books/sirdar-9698-hayfield-chunky-with-wool-adult-hats-leaflet

      I think I used a chunky Stylecraft acrylic/wool mix. I don't have a Ravelry account but I'm thinking about setting one up :)

      Delete
    2. Awesome, thanks :)
      I'm dichohecho on Ravelry if you do go for it.

      Delete