A few weeks ago I came across a Nigella Lawson courgette cake recipe, and variations of it, at least three times within the space of a few days. I took it as a sign that I finally needed to try a courgette cake.
My cake is yet another (slight) variation. I mostly followed Jean's variation though of adding desiccated coconut and lime zest to the cake batter.
I think all versions I came across had used lemon curd as a filling, but I made a lime curd using a lovely recipe I recently found at Only Crumbs Remain. I wanted to enhance the lime flavour in the cake and just generally fancied making that curd! I also added lime zest to the cream cheese icing (no juice though) to fully ramp up the zingy flavour and general green appearance of the cake. I also added a little bit extra icing sugar to the icing to make it slightly firmer and topped the cake with toasted desiccated coconut.
Speaking of the green appearance, I loved all the green flecks from the courgette and lime in this cake. I'm aware green isn't generally considered an attractive colour for a cake, but I thought it looked really pretty.
The courgettes gave the cake a really lovely, soft texture and the lime curd tasted insanely good. Man I love a homemade curd! I only made half a batch but had plenty for this cake filling and enough extra to add to my plain yoghurt and fruit at breakfast for a few days. Yet again, ridiculously tasty alongside blueberries and chopped banana in yoghurt.
So if you're in any ways on the fence about courgette cake I say DO IT. If you already like carrot cake and citrus flavours then you won't regret making it.
That looks gorgeous, Jo, I'm glad you have become a fan of courgette cakes!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jean! And thank you for the recipe. I will undoubtedly bake it again.
DeleteI really enjoy courgette cakes and I'm definitely loving the idea of the lime curd with it. A few years ago I grew only yellow courgettes and, although they looked a bit less odd in cakes, I sort of missed the green flecks.
ReplyDeleteAww that's lovely you used your own home grown courgettes. That's something I'd quite like to try growing next year.
DeleteI fully recommend trying the lime curd! It's so fresh and summery and pairs really well with the cake.