Monday, 24 December 2012

Festive bakes: round 2

I think I may have finally met my match in terms of baking. I have baked so much in the last week or so that the thought of eating anything sweet almost makes me feel ill! As I am a disorganised blogger I thought I'd cram everything together in another big, festive food post. (My first festive post can be found here.)

First up are these cranberry and white chocolate cookies. I've made these cookies/biscuits before and had forgotten how good they are!


They're crunchy round the edges and slightly chewy in the middle. I love the contrast of tart cranberry and sweet white chocolate. It was difficult stopping everybody from eating these when I was trying to pack them up as gifts.

After the cookies I baked these snickerdoodles, also from the Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days book.


Unfortunately I was really disappointed with these so didn't give them away. I liked the idea of them, sweet and cinnamony, but they came out far too doughy/floury. They were baked as little balls and were meant to flatten during baking but mine stayed fairly ball shaped. Not sure what went wrong there.

After the disappointment of the snickerdoodles I made date and cinnamon shortbread, although I would say it's more of a bar than a shortbread.


I liked the technique of the rubbing together the flour and butter, stirring in the dates and sugar and then dumping the mixture into the tray and pressing it in! This bake scores highly in the no faff ratings. I also sprinkled some of the left over cinnamon sugar from the snickerdoodles on top when it was fresh from the oven which added a lovely touch. My mum and brother really liked these.

I was determined to bake some festive cupcakes this year as I've been dying to use my cute snowman cases. I made some chocolate orange cupcakes, which I have made before, but I decided to use the Hummingbird Bakery's basic chocolate cupcake batter instead with the addition of some grated orange zest.


I love the icing for these cupcakes. I could eat it all day (that could be why I've been feeling ill...) and they look extra pretty with terry's chocolate orange wedges.

I have also baked some basic vanilla cupcakes for the weirdos people who don't like chocolate orange, the sponges for the Christmas trifle and the date traybake for sticky toffee pudding! (We have two puddings for Christmas. Partly out of greediness but mostly because we can't agree on one dessert.)

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas! Hope Santa is good to everybody tomorrow x

5 comments:

  1. I've literally just made the cranberry and white chocolate cookies, looking forward to tasting them! Olivia and I also made the snickedoodles, I liked them although I did find them a bit stodgy. Have a lovely day tomorrow! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, that date and cinnamon shortbread/bar is right up my street.

    Happy christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the look of those chocolate orange cupcakes - just perfect with a slice of Terry's on top!

    Hope you have a lovely Christmas! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the chocolate orange cupcakes, my favourite style of piping as well. I really like snickerdoodles but I've only made Nigella's so not sure how they differ to the hummingbird ones. Hope you're having a nice Christmas! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anyone that doesn't like chocolate orange should be viewed with suspicion. Those cupcakes look amazing and you've just reminded me I have a chocolate orange kicking around in here somewhere so that is going to get cracked tonight!

    ReplyDelete