My friends threw a small house party last weekend so I baked these party-worthy brownies stuffed with Celebration chocolates to take with me. I cut them into
party-friendly, bite-size squares with the theory that it's acceptable to eat more than one if they're
smaller! I think everybody had fun guessing which chocolate bar flavours they had in each brownie portion.
Another person at the party had baked millionaire's shortbread and chocolate orange cupcakes so there was a lot of chocolate going
around. I think it's safe to say that sugar hangovers were as likely as
alcohol related ones.
A few of the celebration chunks looked rather impressive fresh from the oven, the Milky Bar pieces in particular as they billowed out like puffy
marshmallows! It was almost a shame to watch them deflate as the tray
cooled although the finished appearance was still very attractive. I love the shiny, flaky, erupting surface.
For these brownies I used a (slightly adapted) Nigella Lawson recipe, more or less the same as the last brownies I made. My only changes were adding chopped up pieces of Celebration chocolates and 40% cocoa solids milk chocolate for the batter instead of a darker chocolate.
In hindsight I probably would have preferred a slightly darker chocolate, or a mix of milk and dark, just to give a richer flavour. I may have slightly overbaked this batch too as they weren't quite as squidy as previous batches. They were by no means dry though and I still had difficulty peeling them off the parchment paper!
In hindsight I probably would have preferred a slightly darker chocolate, or a mix of milk and dark, just to give a richer flavour. I may have slightly overbaked this batch too as they weren't quite as squidy as previous batches. They were by no means dry though and I still had difficulty peeling them off the parchment paper!
What's your favourite brownie recipe? Can Nigella's recipe be defeated?



Awesome idea! love it!
ReplyDeleteI love celebration brownies! Perfect for a party and your photos as usual are outstanding! Have a lovely weekend :)
ReplyDeleteUsing milk chocolate in brownies makes such a good brownie, slightly on the sweeter side, but I kinda like that with all the brownie gooeyness. I also wanna try making my own milky way bars, they're so delicious and I bet they were even better when baked and all caramelised! Lovely pics and post! x
ReplyDeletehomemade milky way bars, wow.... now there's a thought!
DeleteOhhh I love those mini celebrations!! Great looking brownies! I make my own rum and banana ones mostly, great for using up unloved bananas but are very gooey, which is not entirely a bad thing!
ReplyDeleteI used to adore the mint choc Mingles in muffins but they sadly stopped making them :( Maybe I should try celebrations next....!
Ooh you've just reminded me of an old muffin recipe which uses cadbury crunchie bars. I'll have to dig that out to try again! I had no idea Mingles were discontinued though, I thought they were still around!
DeleteGreat idea using tiny chocolates.
ReplyDeleteI saw a recipe recently for chocolate and coconut brownies - being a Bounty fiend I need to try that one!
Oooh, although I've tried After Eight brownies, I have to admit it had never occurred to me to use other chocs in them - I may have to give Celebrations brownies a try!
ReplyDeleteCelebration brownies sound ace, I am definitely trying these soon!
ReplyDeleteMaria xxx
I love these brownies Jo.and look amazing!
ReplyDeleteAnd i love Nigella's recipes!:)
Hmmm, love that bottom pic - I just want to dive right in!! They look seriously delish!
ReplyDeleteJust found your blog and very happy that I have! Now following you on bloglovin and looking forward to keeping up with all your posts.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! Hope you pop by again :)
DeleteFab idea and love the lucky dip element to selecting your slice as to what Celebrations you get in it! The surface does look great.
ReplyDelete