Saturday, 3 September 2011

Today I bought.... guess what!

More Utility China, who would have thought! I honestly only went back to the store sale today because I thought Mum would like to nose around as she hadn't been yet. Plus it gave me a legitimate excuse to be there for a third time. I thought I had found all the Johnson Bros delights, but I was wrong!


Another big, blue jug and three large, oval (platter?) plates. I bought another three for my sister in law because I'm nice like that :)

As expected, Mum was really keen on the retro patterned coffee set and purchased it along with three teapots. The one teapot is massive! It'll be like a weight when filled with tea. This is how filthy they were from years of sitting in a big store room. Most of my utility china was like this too.


You can just about see Mum's coffee set in this photo too. Guess how much we paid for the jug and three teapots? Guess, go on!

£2!

On a slightly sadder note I decided to try some strawberry cheesecake style buns the other night using a recipe from Cupcakes Galore by Gail Wagman. I've made quite a few things from her book which have mostly turned out great but this wasn't one of them. When they came out the oven they looked more like muffins, which I was ok with, so I carried on with the cream cheese icing. The icing was excellent (cream cheese icing is always good) but the sponge itself was awful. It was really hard and each bun had a massive hollow in the middle where the cream cheese was. It just didn't work. The cases wouldn't peel off easily either which is damn annoying.


To end the post on a happy note, I decided to reorganise my tights drawer yesterday. (Only the "normal" tights, my wooly ones are in a different drawer.) How amazing does it look?


I give myself three days before I destroy my system.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, I'm excited! I think I'll need to take a trip in to town on Monday! Maybe I'll have that same mad glint in my eye?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo your tights look amazing, love the colours!
    I love teapots! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow your tight collection puts me to shame! and the cakes look amazing even if they did turn out to be a disapointment x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a lot of people would be put off by the dirt on those teapots....leaving the glorious spoils to the brave who are willing to put the work in cleaning them. They're such beautiful shapes

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, someone with a tights collection to rival mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fantastic bargains - let me know when you open the cafe, can't wait. (I'm presuming you won't be serving cheesecake buns though!!!!!)

    Love the tight drawer - so organised (and fantastic colours)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blue jug is beautiful! Sorry to hear about the cakes but they look delicious!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am loving your tights drawer, I am a new convert to the coloured/patterned tights! Shame about the cakes, although they look pretty good :)

    ReplyDelete