Thursday, 22 September 2011

Uncle John's birthday feast

For his birthday, Uncle John requested an old fashioned afternoon tea (despite his birthday falling on Wednesday and the "tea" being served at 6pm). I was asked if I would prepare some baked goods, naturally I obligied.

All I can say is what a feast! It was fit for a king.


I provided dainty vanilla buns, millionaire's shortbread and a Victoria's sponge filled with jam, cream and strawberries. However I can't claim all the credit, Mum was my sous chef/baker.


I also made some apple and cinnamon buns and a swiss roll. I hadn't made a swiss roll before so was very pleased with my result. I've also discovered a new love for beating eggs and sugar; it was really satisying to watch it double in size and turn pale and glossy.


Aunty Gillian was the tea lady. Is it wrong that I love how the teapot colour coordinates with her dress?




Needless to say everybody felt very happy and very full by the end of the tea!

7 comments:

  1. Wow - its like something out of an Enid Blyton book! Looks absolutely amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow what a spread..im drooling over the pictures!

    fab...

    charl

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks wonderful! what an amazing spread! bet uncle John was delighted, wish I'd been there too. Think your cupcakes are beautiful too. Reminded me of Granny's birthday tea. Thinking of you all, much love Kath xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW all look amazing and delicious, love the table and the plates, and I saw some of my plates there!! he,he, really is nice I have a similars plate! You know I love china a lot!!! I love this post! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these little sandwichs and the strawberries!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a feast, lucky Uncle John. I recognise a few of those plates!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing spread! I especially love the thick layer of caramel on the millionnaire's shortbread, and the swiss roll looks ace! Yum.

    ReplyDelete