Wednesday, 24 October 2012

Hummingbird birthday cake

It was my Dad's birthday last Wednesday so I thought I'd try the Hummingbird Bakery's Hummingbird cake from their first book. I think this wins the award for fastest disappearing cake as there was none left to snack on the following day!


I loved the flavour of this cake: warm and fruity. Banana, cinnamon, pecan and pineapple make brilliant cake making buddies. It's similar to a carrot cake in terms of texture and spice, but the bananas and pineapple make it extra juicy.

 
And everybody loves a bit of cream cheese icing, you just can't go wrong with it. I must say that Bee whipped up a very smooth batch. She did an excellent job with her first triple layer cake.

 
We decided to really go for it and put 54 candles on the cake (no need to guess Dad's age!) It was an impressive blaze. Thankfully we didn't need to call the fire brigade.

 
This was a really nice sized triple layer cake and easy to cut. Triple layered without being ginormous! With previous layered cakes I've found that they can be unstable to cut and difficult to eat if they're really deep and high. I worried that these sponges hadn't risen enough but on cutting and tasting they were absolutely fine. It's definitely a recipe I'd be happy to use again. I wonder if it would work as a bundt...
 
I'm feeling too lazy to type out the recipe, but you can find it here through Ros, The More Than Occasional Baker. She also has a nut chopper!

14 comments:

  1. Stunning - love your swirly icing down the sides too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job! looks identical to the real stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake is lovely, but I'm really in love with your cake stand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh it looks great! I've not tried it but I've been eyeing up the recipe for a while. I'm not surprised it went so quickly :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cake looks great. I bet your Dad was pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The icing looks wonderful! I don't like bananas so have never made this, but the carrot cake in the hummingbird bakery cookbook is amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fab! I love the icing on the sides, too. And I have cake plate envy - it goes really well with this cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! I am so glad I dropped by... that cakes looks yummy! I'm off to fill my face with your older posts now...

    Happy belated birthday to your dad!

    *waves hello* from a new follower, Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks absolutely delicious!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love love love Hummingbird cake, did you see my post on it a while back? you've done an amazing job with and the taste says it all! - especially when there was none left! Love your pictures too, they look great and really well styled :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks soo good, exactly like the one in the book! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful cake, looks like one straight out of the cookbook! Love the texture down the sides, too. I always think this one looks like a beautiful cake but I'm never sure if I'll like the flavour. Might have to find somebody to force it upon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks so so soooooooo delicious and I love the ingredients, so will definitely be making it some time soon. Thank you for the recipe link! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cake looks lovely Jo. I've got all of The Hummingbird Bakery's cookbooks but haven't baked from them much. I think I may need get started baking from them.
    P.S Subscribing to you blog.

    ReplyDelete